Black Lives Matter and “Matter” is the minimum.
Black Lives Matter. Period. They more than matter. “Matter” is the minimum. Black lives are equally valuable as all others. Black lives are precious, beautiful, and powerful.
Owning my own business is a privilege. I can do and say whatever I want with limited fear of repercussions. I am the boss. I don’t have to run anything by anyone. I can make my personal values part of my business.
Here are some of the things I’m doing/have done:
- Offering free Strategy Sessions to black-owned and run businesses and entrepreneurs, and those working on social justice.
- Providing a free Slack community for entrepreneurs, business owners, and nonprofit leaders to come together for inspiration, support, and accountability.
- Offering donation-based spots in my Brand Positioning and Integrated Marketing Accelerators.
- Continuing to seek out and support black-owned businesses, entrepreneurs, and nonprofits, as well as organizations fighting for racial justice and doing good work for the world.
- Continuing to seek out and work with diverse freelancers and subcontractors. If you’d like to work with me in the future, you can share your portfolio here.
- Use my position as a small business to write to my elected officials.
- I regularly reinvest my earnings into other organizations I believe in.
- Recent donations have included:
- Past donations have included:
- I pledge to regularly reinvest a percent of my income in organizations I believe in.
- I am making a concerted effort to engage with folks who believe they are not racist but commit acts of racism.
- I am making a concerted effort to share content that will help folks become more educated about and aware of racism.
- Discussing these issues with friends and family, and urging them to take action.
- Discussing these issues with clients, and urging them to take action.
- In all of the events I’ve spoken at this month, I have asked anyone who does not believe Black Lives Matter to leave, as I don’t want to give them free business help.
- I have pledged not to work with organizations or people that do not believe Black Lives Matter.
Hopefully, these examples inspire you to take action and make commitments of your own.
If you or your organization aren’t sure what to do or what to say right now, read this.